• B.P. Harris
  • B.P. Harris
  • B.P. Harris
  • B.P. Harris
  • B.P. Harris
1 2 3 4 5

Specialists in Steel

Fabrication, Alterations and Repairs

 

Welcome

B.P. Harris

B.P. Harris & Son is a 3rd generation family owned business specialising in steel fabrication, alterations and repairs for both homes and businesses alike.

Specialising in Field Bins, Silo's, Feeders and Trailers, we also custom build a wide variety of steel products to your needs.

We are also a retail supplier of many standard items including: bearings & seals, pulleys, welding aids, trailer parts, uni joints, jockey wheels, metal post caps, galvanised tubing and much more.

Agents for Kleenheat and Air Liquide Gas.

News and Promotions



Contact Michael on (08) 9827 1076

 


Our Products & Services

At B.P. Harris & Son, we fabricate many standard and customised agricultural products such as:

 

 

Visit our Services Page to see more about:

 

Transportation service
Repairs
Ordering standard steel products (eg. sheet metal, pipe etc.)
Kleenheat and Air Liquide Gas Supplies

 

 

 

1937
B.P. Harris

The business of B. P. Harris (General Blacksmith) was established in 1937 under Basil Harris. Basil and his wife Amy who both came from Albany purchased the business located at 8 Allardyce street from Mr. R. D. Howard. Basil ran the business as a Farrier, General Blacksmith & Wheelwright employing locals: Watty Wolf, George Altham and Charlie Frantom, to name a few. After WW2 (1940-45) Basil was commissioned to manufacture the bodies of the 1st School buses in the district, (approx 1947) Miss Gnowangerup, Miss Amelup and Miss Ongerup.

On leaving school eldest son Peter joined his father in the business, trading as B. P. Harris. Unfortunately due to a tragic workplace accident in 1958 (fuel tank explosion) Peter lost his life. This accident left a large gap in the business and 3rd son Bill (William) who was then working for the local newspaper the Gnowangerup Star expressed interest in joining his father.

Their time together saw many changes with the agricultural industry changing rapidly. Bill had inherited his father's natural ability to make anything required from forge work to welding, repairing machinery and manufacturing bulk grain handling equipment.

Blacksmith shops were built low and with minimum light to more easily judge the right temperatures of steel for tempering, and as trucks and machines grew larger a lot of jobs were done out in the weather on concrete pads under a gantry crane.

1983
B.P. Harris

In 1964 Bill married Helen Hassett, who was soon recruited into the family business doing the office duties, this seemed to be a sign for Basil to take Bill into the business as a partner, thus B. P. Harris & Son.

In 1976 Basil retired leaving Bill & Helen to run the business. Due to the nature of change in manufacturing, sadly the Allardyce Street premises became outdated and in 1983 a move to larger premises at 15 Corbett Street was made.

In 1983 Michael (2nd son of Bill & Helen) joined the business to learn the trade, and completed his apprenticeship with flying colours, winning the state award in his 2nd year, and apart from 24 months in Leinster working in the mines has been with B. P. Harris & Son since then.

2002 to today
B.P. Harris

Through careful business management in the hard times and customer loyalty the business once again outgrew the premises. With the need to manufacture grain Silos a move was made to our current location (54 Quinn Street, Gnowangerup) in 2002. Today Michael runs the business with Bill semi retired and Helen still helping out in the office. We continue to go from strength to strength with a great team, and the continued support of the district.